Sunday, November 13, 2016

Owl Mittens

I wanted to make a pair of mittens to match the hat I made my grandniece but that was going nowhere fast. I used a pattern that I'll link to and added a few touches to make it an owl. I tried a handful of patterns but they either didn't look right or the pattern made little sense. So I went back to my standby and I really like this pattern. I used it last year to make mittens for my brothers kid's and they loved them so much. 
  The pattern is clearly written and the mittens work up pretty fast. It's easy to add rows or stitches to make a larger size for older kids. Here's the link to the actual mitten pattern:  https://thecraftfrog.wordpress.com/2010/12/28/animal-winter-wear/

I followed the pattern through R 10 and on R 11 I started the pink. 
For the tufts I used the smallest pom pom maker in my set.
I used an F/3.75mm hook for these
 Eyes
MR with CC 2
R 1        SC 6, finish off                            6
R 12        Join white, 2 SC each st, sl st                    12
R 3        Ch 1, *SC 1, 2 SC* around, finish off                18

Beak
R 1        Ch 2, 3 HDC in 2nd ch from hk, turn                3
R 2        Ch 2 & turn, 2 HDC in 1st st, HDC, DC, HDC in
        next st, 2 HDC in last st, finish off                7

No comments:

Post a Comment